Wednesday, July 15, 2009

K-zoo Week 2 (Get it? It rhymes!)

Sorry for the delay in posting stuff from week 2. I've had a crazy week. I traveled to and from Lexington this weekend to shoot a wedding (a couple pictures later in the post). Some assignments are more fun than others but I'm really enjoying all of the different kinds of people I'm meeting on assignments. It's definitely the best part of this job.

This is Chef Sean at the Coffee Bar. We did a profile on their new location. Since then I've gone back for lunch and had an AWESOME panini.

AE_Coffeebar.jpg

Jack Driver was one of my favorite people I met last week, though. Jack was stationed on the USS Hornet, the ship that received Apollo 11 and took the crew aboard. He lives right outside of Kalamazoo, so we're doing a story about him.

TDY_MoonLandingDriver.jpg

I've also been shooting a lot of kids in water pictures.

Feature.jpg

Feature.jpg

LOC_kikpool.jpg

But, by far, the most interesting assignment I've had so far was about Terry. Terry has Locked-in syndrome. He suffered a stroke 12 years ago that did damage to the lower half of his brain, but not the upper half. This means he is totally cognitively aware, however, he has no motor skills. He communicates using his eyes to blink "yes" or "no" or to go through a chart of the alphabet and spell words. The woman in these pictures is not a nurse. Her name is Roxanne. Roxanne's church visited Terry's nursing home eight years ago and went door to door after being stuck inside by a snow storm. Roxanne and Terry have become best friends and she has become one of his primary care givers. Their story is beautiful to me and I can't wait to spend more time with them while I am here.

HLTH_lockedin.jpg

HLTH_lockedin.jpg

HLTH_lockedin.jpg

This weekend I shot my first wedding. It was interesting. I had a good time but was exhausted at the end of the day. Here are just a few pictures I really like. The first two are of the groom's son (the second with the groom) at a lunch the day of the wedding, the third is my friend's sister and the last is the bride and groom in their first dance.

_MG_6985

_MG_0136

_MG_0711

_MG_0742

Sorry for the length of that entry. Let me know what you think!

5 comments:

earthglow said...

Length is good! I was going through all these entries a little while ago and I have to say, even with my untrained eye I can see that you've progressed a whole lot in the past year. Leaps and bounds. I'm marveling at what you're doing.
-Becky

Kellie Manier said...

I need to see some of these food shots cuz I know they're you're fav. I kid...anyways, wedding stuff looks good. All that worrying for nothing ;)

Mrs. T said...

You are amazing. It is so wonderful to see how you have progressed. I can't wait to see what you do next.

lifeframebyframe said...

The Terry story sounds so interesting, I can't wait to see what other pictures you get if you get to spend more time with them.

lucky me said...

i have had students in the past that communicated through eyegaze. it is a struggle, but is amazingly effective. good work, tanner.
love, lauren in lexington