Sunday, July 5, 2009

Kalamazoo Gazette: Week 1

Just as I was starting to be ok with cashiering all summer and giving up on the hunt for a second job I applied for a last minute internship opening at the Kalamazoo Gazette in Michigan. Well, I got the internship, put in my two week notice at work, packed up my car and moved to Kalamazoo last Sunday. So far I'm really enjoying the paper. Here are some of my favorites from assignments this week and a few from around my apartment.

Kalamazoo_Week1_001

Kalamazoo_Week1_002

One of the first things I shot here with one of the staff photographers. A feature on Camp Discovery, a camp funded by the Epilepsy Foundation of Michigan. The camp is tailored to children with Epilepsy.



Photos from my first assignment on my own: a youth fishing program run by the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety.

Youth_fishing_01

Youth_fishing_01

This small town, Colon, Mich., about an hour south of Kalamazoo is known for how they celebrate the Fourth of July. There is a boat parade, a street parade, and tons of fireworks.

LOC_ColonFourth.jpg

LOC_ColonFourth.jpg

A feature from an assignment about a group of families that traveled together to China to adopt young girls.

Kalamazoo_Week1_008

My apartment.

Kalamazoo_Week1_009

Kalamazoo_Week1_010



Expect more consistent updates from now on. I'm enjoying shooting pictures again, although I enjoyed my break after this semester to recharge. I'm also hoping to start on a personal project here soon. I have a few ideas. Let me know what you think!

PS: You can check www.mlive.com/kalamazoo for more from the newspaper

1 comment:

Christopher Fryer said...

your kalamazoo work is looking good, late congratulations on getting the internship up there